Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Laptop Blues

So my laptop here that I edit this wonderful website on, and do ALL of my radio related work, and edit videos like the ones you see from the ol' Black Friday Bowl.... well... it's got a screen that's acting funny.

Blue vertical lines. Static. Sorta like an old TV.

So I think: "Damn. I like this laptop. It's *only* 2 years old. I should get it fixed."

Then I think: hell no. The "shop" will take 2 weeks minimum to fix it, it will cost at least $200 (maybe more) and I am sure they will wipe out key data and/or erase or uninstall programs.

Plus, with a wholly new laptop available for almost the price of a repair, it just seems nuts to repair this ol' thing. I can get a tricked out version of this same Sony VAIO laptop for about $900, which improves every metric from the old one (processor speed, memory, hard drive, etc.).

But I'll admit, it does seem "wasteful" to abandon an otherwise working machine, that was the wonder of my techhie heart just 2 short years ago.

Then, I saw this ad on YouTube.



Holy crap. It's amazing how f'ing EXPENSIVE the crappiest computers were back in the early 1990's. And yet we, as a nation, snapped 'em up.

Now, they are in a landfill.

I'm gonna get that new laptop. It's gonna be a business expense. I am not going to spend any more time agonizing over it. I will recycle it as responsibly as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment